How To Purify Water: Ways You've Probably Never Heard Of

There’s no doubt that you will be in a survival situation in the near future, possibly without a water filter so I’m going to provide some info on alternative ways to purify some water.

Filters are probably the easiest way, other than collecting rainwater, but I’m aiming to blow your mind here so let’s get started.

The Truth Is In The Past

I have learned that we can and really should look back to the past and learn things from people who are still living the way they have for their entire existence. It is only been during fairly recent history that so many people are so diseased, basically everyone just sucks at living in the natural world.

africanwomanclaypot

I’m sure practically everyone has seen pictures of these woman carrying these big, heavy containers on their heads. Not only is it amazing that many of these women can do this with no hands, but why are they ALL using pots like these?

I heard that you can purify water using clay, so I decided to look into it a little further. When I punched it in google I came across some pretty compelling evidence.

cdc-clay

Notice here that they basically say it works, and it works well, but you should be afraid of viruses if you decide to use some of these to opt out of the system. It has been proven many times that viruses do not cause disease, so how can you go about making one of these?

Here’s an awesome video that goes over the process, using things you might already have laying around, and if you don’t have the exact things, it would be possible to improvise if your at risk of death by dehydration.

Solar Water Bottle

I discovered this when I was researching blue solar water, and was amazed by it. Basically you can use any old clear water bottle you have, any even some soda bottles. It requires a certain type of plastic to work correctly.

1bottle

The type we want is called PET or sometimes PETE, and is indicated by the number 1 on the bottle.

You fill the clear bottle (it must be clear) with water, lay the bottle on it’s side and let it sit in the sunlight for 6 hours, then you can drink. If you add a natural compound to the water, the process can be sped up drastically.

It takes 30 minutes on a normal day and an hour on a cloudy day. The researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Medicine in the US say this is because of the presence of psoralen, a class of phytoactive biomolecules that have been used for long to sterilise blood plasma and platelets. Psoralen occurs naturally in various plants, including citrus fruits, figs, celery, parsley and Indian satinwood. - DownToEarth.org: Lemony Clean Water

I couldn’t find a source on this quoted statement about, the addition of citrus reducing ALL contaminates, only one stating that E. Coli was reduced within 30 minutes, so it would be better to wait it out and be safe. After all, the hospitals probably won’t even be open…

Here is the efficacy of using this method of purification, from ScienceDaily: Solar Disinfection (SODIS)

effectivenesssolarwater

Silver

I’m sure most people have probably heard this phrase…

He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth!

I always thought it was just referring to someone that was born into a family with money, and therefor his life wouldn’t be as hard as most poor people. I believe this had nothing to do with money, and everything to do about health.

Due to the amount of misinformation floating around the internet regarding silver, and especially colloidal silver, some people may have heard of the benefits of it, but dropped it immediately once they heard about people turning blue after using it.

bluesilverskin

But if you were to wade through all of it, you’d probably be amazed at just how beneficial this stuff can be.

It turns out that silver has amazing antimicrobial properties, and back in the day when most families had a nice set of silverware, I believe this was common knowledge.

Storing food in silverware is always a good idea because it can destroy the viruses, bacteria and germs in the food . In olden times, milk was infused with silver coins to keep it fresher over the longer period. Water and wines were also kept in silverware to help enhance freshness and keep it tasty for more time. - parenting.firstcry.com: Using Silverware for Babies – Benefits & Types

But if it has these properties for food, what about water?

It has been said that settlers in the old world used silver canteens and other silver vessels to store water. I would imagine that this wasn’t because they were bringing it just as a way to store value, but it actually had a purpose.

NASA released information about their water treatment system which used silver, and many other high profile companies are also using this system.

The company’s purification systems have been installed in thousands of residential and resort pools and spas, YMCA facilities throughout the country, and at many major university indoor/outdoor pools, including the University of Virginia, the University of Texas, Purdue University, and Wake Forest University. Decorative fountains at Disney World, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, and Kellogg’s Cereal City in Battle Creek, Michigan, are kept sanitized with Carefree Clearwater purifiers, not to mention the largest decorative fountain in the world, the Fountain of Wealth in Suntec City, Singapore. Furthermore, the Cincinnati Zoo is tapping the technology for its sea lion tank, walrus pool, and arctic bird exhibit; Zoo Atlanta is utilizing it for its tiger and hoof stock exhibits; and Alligator Adventure in North Myrtle Beach, North Carolina, is employing it in its habitat for UTAN, the largest crocodile ever to be exhibited in the United States.

This particular system also uses copper, but the information is out there if one were to look.

It is said that about 1oz of 10ppm colloidal silver can be used to purify 1 gallon of water. This may be a bit of a stretch for people reading this, but I would take the chance of using colloidal silver to purify my water, if it was my last option.

Here’s a good resource for anyone wanting to learn more about silver.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=69302

© Copyright 2020 ParentOfSociety, Inc. All rights reserved.