The Great Diaper Conspiracy, Delayed Toilet Training, and Elimination Communication

Our Daily Routine

I’m comfortable and warm, with my daughter’s back tucked up against me and her head resting on my shoulder. Dreaming about making my favorite sourdough pancakes. But for some reason I’m adding chicken to them.

I’m quickly pulled away from this deliciously strange dream by my daughter sitting up directly upon waking up. I’ve always found it weird that she feels the need to sit up immediately, sometimes with her eyes still closed.

As I’m still trying to fully regain consciousness, I take her to the living room, lay her on the couch and quickly undo her cloth diaper. I usually stand in front of her and stretch my arms after I undo her diaper and she does too.

I take her to the bathroom, wave to her in the mirror, and set her on her bumbo toilet seat sitting on top of our toilet, and signal to her that it’s time to go potty.

My daughter is about 11 months old, and she’s been regularly using the toilet for at least 3 months.

Usually she goes immediately upon setting her down, other times I have to make “tsk tsk” sounds and “unnnhh unnhh” sounds to indicate that it’s time to go potty.

She usually goes on the toilet more than her diapers throughout the day. It’s super gratifying to take her diaper off and it’s still completely dry. Then after she goes potty, putting the same one back on again. She will usually go on the toilet 3-5 times a day.

Elimination communication

We’ve been potty training her (also called elimination communication) since she was around 3 months old.

This was the way that most children were potty trained. Mothers typically stayed home and they were able to notice the signals their baby was giving them to indicate they were about to blow.

EVERY child shows signs, it’s up to the parents to notice their patterns and act accordingly .

My daughter will usually stop what she’s doing and make grunting noises. This is her signal to me that she’s about to poop.

That’s when it’s time to get her on the toilet. Sometimes we can catch her before she poops at all, other times we catch her halfway through a poop. We take her diaper off, give her but a quick wipe (so there’s not fecal matter everywhere) and plop her on her seat and she goes instantly. Surprisingly she’s never shat all over me even when interrupting her.

Back In The Day…

Back in the day, this was common knowledge; at least to families living on military bases.

When my girlfriend first found out about the whole super early potty training thing, she mentioned to it her grandmother. She recalled that when my girlfriends father was born, the military recommended that they potty train him super early.

Society has been pushing for INDEPENDENCE of our children, rather than INTERDEPENDENCE.

While this may be considered a good thing, what it does is actually separate us from the people closest to us in life.

A baby and it’s mother are two instances of the same being. Yin & Yang, black and white, night and day, moon and sun etc.

In many “third world” countries, newborn babies are almost constantly in mommas arms. Babies breastfeed for as long as 7 years, and many of them never use any diapers.

They simply notice that baby is about to unload, and they hold them over a sink, trashcan, or even a grassy area and they do their thing. The mother KNOWS their baby needs to go.

The Great Diaper Conspiracy

The diaper industry is projected to be worth 67 BILLION dollars ($67,000,000,000) by 2022.

I specifically remember my home-ec teacher teaching us all about the sphincter muscle in babies. She said that babies were physiologically incapable of controlling their sphincter until around 18-24 months and that’s why it’s best to start potty training around 18 months.

I think this all to common belief is actually perpetuated by these multi billion dollar corporations. Of course they would do this, because that would enable them to sell more diapers.

I recently discovered that diaper services existed in the old days. All the way up to the 80’s there were diaper services that came to your house and picked up your dirty cloth diapers. They took them, cleaned them, and delivered fresh clean diapers to your doorstep. This obviously wasn’t good for the disposable industry.

Que the smear campaign!

The first disposable diaper commercial, they even falsely claim they are flushable.

During the 60s America was different. They were pushing for separation of the family unit. The feminism movement was a big part of this. They marketed to busy women, it was necessary to rip apart the family structure so they could transform us into a mass consumer market.

The main goal of these corporations is to sell as much as possible. A corporations main goal will ALWAYS be to profit. To figure out how to make more next year so they can stay grow their empire.

Proctor & Gamble (Pampers) and Kimberly Clark (Huggies) are the two biggest disposable diaper pushers in the world. These companies absolutely do not prioritize your health.

They will do anything to profit. False advertising claims, chemical burns, even glass shards in baby wipes in one lawsuit.

What Can We Do About It?

The simple answer would be to not support these companies, but there’s a lot that comes with that.

Most people; at least in the United States have jobs that require them to physically leave their home for 40 hours a week.

It really does require a lot of work to use potty train your newborn and use cloth diapers, but I think the main thing to remember is that it is NECESSARY .

According to Baby Center it will cost you $10,000 during your first year for all baby expenses; $8000 if your not using daycare.

If your making $15 an hour and working 40 hours a week you’ll likely need daycare to take care of your child.

BEFORE taxes, your looking at roughly 670 hours of working to pay that $10k.

17 WEEKS of work to just pay for tons of extra shit you wouldn’t need if you only worked part time.

and took the time to potty train your child and use cloth diapers and breastfeed. Breastfeeding was hard for us but once we hired a lactation consultant she was able to train mommy.

Not to mention the time you have to spend away from your family, time that you’ll never get back.

Missing experiences of your child growing.

Missing the opportunity to actually RAISE your child.

If your working full time, your child will most likely spend more time in front of a screen. They will be the most susceptible to programming in the first two years of life.

The thing is that people BELIEVE it’s necessary to pay a shit ton of money to raise a child.

The belief should be reframed to one that focuses on spending as much time with your children as possible. Not focusing on having enough material things, and not buying all the shit you think you need BEFORE baby arrives.

I can say that after being a father for almost a year, I’m pretty confident you could do everything for around $1500 for the first year.

We don’t use probably 80% of the shit that we thought we would.

So to sum it all up…

We should get out of the mindset that we have in this day and age. We must take a good look at our lifestyle, and figure out what about it would make raising a child expensive.

We should not believe or expect that we need to be able to afford however many thousand disposable diapers a baby would use. Just figure out how to no lead a disposable lifestyle.

1 Like

© Copyright 2020 ParentOfSociety, Inc. All rights reserved.